October 9, 2019
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION October 9,2019
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:33 p.m.
- A. Estell, J. Garden, J. Petersen, A. Blank, H. Bradway, L Roberts, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, D. Eaton, 1st Selectman, some teachers & parents.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Petersen made a motion to approve the minutes from September 11, 2019. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- A. Estell received communication from Chris Sanford, from Woodstock Academy, asking if any Union Board of Ed member would like to become a Trustee for the Academy.
- Superintendent’s Report Joe reported on various things going on in the legislature. We have confirmation that EASTCONN will honor our contract price for Type 1 & Type 11 busses even though they are using two Type 1 busses. He mentioned a few Superintendent meetings he has/would be attending.
- Principal’s Report Steve wrote a grant for the school & we were awarded close to $10,000 for a gazebo, gardens, stone walls, and walkway to memorialize the old school,a community garden & outdoor science/lab classroom. This grant is from The Last Green Valley. Construction on this project will start in the spring. We should have the snow guards for the solar panels installed soon. For our Curriculum night, it was almost 100% attended. VoAg was here to talk to our 7th & 8th grade students. Students also visited Woodstock Academy. Our older students will also be going to Stafford High School at the end of the month. Fire Prevention Program will be tomorrow with our Volunteer Fire Department.
6. COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Curriculum no new info
- Communications no new info
- Transportation bus routes all set
- Personnel no new info
- Building Steve & J.P. will do a walk-through of the building soon
- EASTCONN no new info
- 2019-2020 Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2018-19 Budget The town reports indicate we are in the black for about $157.00 & EASTCONN reports we are in a deficit of ~$2,400.00. Working this out with town & EASTCONN.
- Administrative Structure, 2020-21: Discussion/Action on related items A. Estell talked about the legislature & looking toward the future cooperative school arrangement & services. Right now the law doesn’t allow tuitioning out students at the elementary level. A. Blank made a motion to make a combined position interim Supt/Principal for 2020-2021 school year. Seconded by J. Garden. A long discussion followed. Some of the Board members wanted more information & questions answered first. This motion was put to a vote. Three for the motion & three against. Motion didn’t pass.
- The Last Green Valley Grant Award-Discussed under Principal’s Report
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
M. Huda had some comments about how the meeting was run. At the Board of Ed meeting on October 23, the Board will have a discussion with the teachers about the Administrative Structure for 2020-2021. D. Eaton said the Board of Finance will be looking to the Board of Ed to lower their Budget for 2020-21.
Motion by L. Roberts to adjourn at 9:05 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary